IUPUI SHADOWING PROGRAM
The goal of this program is to make shadowing opportunities more accessible to undergraduates exploring careers in medicine. We know that the application process for the program is quite rigorous, and selection criteria is exclusive. It is important, however, that we strive to avoid any liability issues for all parties involved.
What is the benefit to applying & participating in the program?
Once you have completed the application and all supplemental requirements (proof of vaccinations, proof of negative TB test, and compliance training), you are approved to shadow in the IU Health and Wishard facilities, as long as a physician is willing to allow you to shadow.
Basic Eligibility Requirements
Please see the Eligibility Criteria document for more details on these requirements. Students must demonstrate significant interest in medicine and possess a record that is reflective of his/her goals of becoming a physician.
The following criteria and requirements must be met before being considered to participate in the program:
· Minimum GPA of 3.5/4.0
· Provide unofficial transcripts
· Possess valid university ID number & JagTag for identification
· Have completed 24+ college credit hours (at least sophomore standing)
· Be enrolled full-time (12+ credit hrs) at time of application
· Have completed C105, C106, K101, K103 with grade of B- or better in each course
· Provide proof of immunizations of MMR, Varicella (or had chicken pox), and Td OR complete immunizations prior to shadowing
· Provide proof of negative TB test in last 12 months
· Complete mandatory HIPAA compliance training and paperwork prior to shadowing (no cost)
· Must have current health insurance to cover any injury that might be sustained during the shadowing experience
Preference will be given to students who:
· Are first-generation college students and/or do not have a tradition of family physicians
· Have not worked in a hospital or clinical setting
· Have not participated in the IUPUI Physician Shadowing Program in previous semesters
Specialties to Choose From:
The following specialties should be available to students wishing to shadow, though physician availability and participation is not guaranteed for all areas of medicine:
Anatomic Pathology, Anesthesiology, Cardiology, Cardiothoracic Surgery, Critical Care/ Pulmonology, Dermatology, Family Medicine, Gastroenterology/Hepatology, General Pediatrics, Geriatrics Hematology-Oncology, Internal Medicine, Medical Genetics, Neurology, Neurosurgery, Obstetrics/Gynecology, Ophthalmology, Orthopedics/Ortho Surgery, Otolaryngology/ Head & Neck, Pediatric Surgery, Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, Plastic Surgery, Psychiatry, Radiation, Oncology, Reproductive Endocrinology & Infertility, Sports Medicine, Surgery, Transplant Surgery, Trauma, Urology, Vascular Surgery
Step One (Application Process)
1. Read the Eligibility Criteria document.
2. Read the Student and Physician Responsibilities document.
3. Download and complete the application.
4. Download the recommendation form, have it completed and returned to the Pre-med Club's mailbox in the Student Involvement Cube within the Campus Center on the 3rd floor, suite 370. If you are not sure where this is please ask the person working at the front desk and they should be able to place the recommendation form in the correct mailbox.
5. Complete application and recommendation form are due by October 16, 2013.
If you have any questions, please contact Sara Ibrahim at email@example.com.